Integrated Water Resource Management (IWRM) Programme in Madagascar
- Launched: 2016 / Duration: 4 years / Budget: 335 000 €
- Field partners: AGRISUD INTERNATIONAL, METROPOLIS OF LYON, UPPER-MATSIATRA REGION
- Financial partners: RHONE-MEDITERRANEAN and CORSICA WATER AGENCY, METROPOLIS OF LYON, RESEARCH QUALITY ENVIRONMENT ASSOCIATION
The project is a continuation of the Zambazamba project, this IWRM pilot project implemented in the municipality of Nasandratrony since March 2014. In order to maximize the value of investments in terms of Potable Water Conveyance (PWC) by the Decentralised Cooperation Programme between the Metropolis of Lyon (ML) and Upper-Matsiatra Region (RHM), various technical, institutional and financial parnters of this project wanted to plan its replication of 6 other municipalities and 9w other atersheds in the Upper-Matsiatra Region.
General objective of Kolorano (water sustainable management in Malagasy) is to reconcile water security and food security for people living / depending on the watersheds.
5 components of activities will be implemented:
- Improve municipal governance regarding agriculture and forestry management: training of 15 water and sanitation agents, installation and support of 15 nurseries;
- Elaborate watersheds land-use plans: based on a diagnosis of agricultural systems and detailed land use mapping;
- Protect upstream water resources: on 200 ha, 150 producers will be trained to install permanent cover (in the protection areas close to the catchments) and agro-forestry on contour lines (in distant protection areas). Elaboration of forest management plans (in the forests already constituted) with priority to the conversion of coppice to coppice-with-standards, dissemination of improved cookstoves and improved carbonisation techniques;
- Improve downstream water productivity: implementation of agro-forestry systems (125 ha), training of 400 farmers to water-saving techniques, especially in terms of rice growing where the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) will be heavily promoted by its ability to produce more with less water;
- Measuring the impact of the programme mainly on water resources but also on biodiversity, climate and living standards of the beneficiaries.
- Water: reducing pressure or increase water resources;
- Climate: reduction of greenhouse gases emissions through the promotion of SRI, CO2 sequestration in biomass and soil;
- Biodiversity: increase local biodiversity through the dissemination of agroecological practices and the introduction of new agro-forest species.
- Increase incomes of producers accompanied in the development of their production systems;
- Limitation of conflicts between drinking water and irrigation water.
- RHONE-MEDITERRANEAN and CORSICA WATER AGENCY, the METROPOLIS of LYON and the RESERACH and QUALITY ENVIRONMENT ASSOCIATION co-finance the project;
- ETC TERRA provides overall coordination of the project and implements forest activities and impact measurement;
- AGRISUD INTERNATIONAL implements agro-ecological activities;
- The project is implemented in close cooperation with the municipalities and with the UPPER-MATSIATRA REGION which coordinates interventions of Malagasy public partners.
See Kolorano pictures on Facebook
Back to Zambazamba pilot-project