Convinced of the needs to measure on a reliable and documented manner the impact of its various projects and committed to strengthening the capacity of stakeholders in the southern countries, Etc Terra decided to create Etc Lab'. This laboratory brings together the technical and scientific expertise of Etc Terra and works with scientific research.
- Contribution to the definition of projects strategies (especially in terms of land-use planning) and to their management ;
- Impact measurement of projects implemented by Etc Terra and its partners: climate, water, biodiversity, socio-économic situation of local populations ;
- Capacity building of southern countries stakeholders: institutions, NGOs, etc.
Etc Terra's action plan
Strategy definition et impact measurement
Based on remote sensing and spatial modeling tools, field investigations and implementation of experimental devices on the project areas, our action plan can be summarized as following:
Related research and development issues are addressed through:
- Application on concrete field projects (learn more about Etc Lab' projects);
- Technology watch on Earth Observation data (e.g. new satellites), methods (e.g. spatial modeling) and tools (e.g. field sensor, drone);
- Collaboration between Etc Lab' experts (foresters, soil scientists, hydrologists,GIS and remote sensing experts) and research institutions and local universities / international notably resulting in the mobilization of PhD under North-South supervision (learn more about our team and our scientific partners);
- Development of new tools and methodologies:
- Reliable: through the scientific publishing process (peer-review)
- Cost-effective: through preferential use of free satellite images and free software: QGIS, R, Grass, etc.
- Open: through results dissemination (scientific publications, geoportals, conferences, etc)
Learn more about our scientific publications
Capacity building southern countries stakeholders
On tenders or upon request, Etc Lab' can be mobilized on various topics, including:
- Forest / REDD +
- Theoretical training: state of international negotiations and forest carbon markets, developing national strategies and plans, presentation of REDD+ standards (VCS, CCBA, etc.) and project methodologies, integration of environmental and social issues, etc;
- Practical training: field inventories (biomass, soil), carbon stocks mapping, historical deforestation analysis by remote sensing, future deforestation modeling, etc.
- Geographic Information Systems
- Education: general, components of GIS, data types, functions of a GIS, etc;
- Customized training: Geoportal deepening development, etc.
- Water / IWRM: evaluation and simulation of the dynamics of water resources at the watershed scale.
Learn more about our training references
Evolution of deforestation between 1990 and 2013 in the buffer zone of the Gilé National Réserve